Another Frigid Forecast is on the Way and Vermont Gas Wants Customers to Stay Safe
South Burlington. Vt. – Bitter temperatures are once again expected later this week and Vermont Gas wants to make sure natural gas safety is top of mind. As always, if you smell gas call 911 and then call Vermont Gas right away at 800-639-8081.
Here are some important reminders to consider ahead of the cold snap:
- Disable Programmable Thermostats – For this severe weather, we recommend keeping your thermostat steady at a comfortable temperature by temporarily disabling the setback feature on your thermostat. Your furnace will not work as hard to get up to temperature and it will improve the comfort of your home. (Our energy experts say it’s ok to enable the setback feature once the cold snap has passed.)
- Keep gas meters free from snow and ice – use a broom, not a shovel, to clear snow from your meter assembly and vents.
- Keep exterior sidewall vents clear – if a vent becomes buried in snow or blocked otherwise, equipment may shut down or draw exhaust fumes into a home.
- Test smoke alarms – It is important to have smoke alarms on every level of the home, inside each sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area. If possible, smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Test carbon monoxide alarms – Carbon monoxide (CO) is colorless, odorless and tasteless. Exposure to even small quantities of CO can cause flu-like symptoms. Higher levels can be dangerous. Test and replace CO detectors as recommended. Properly maintain and vent your appliances. Never use a gas stove to heat your home and do not use a generator indoors or near the home. If you suspect CO poisoning, call 911 or local fire department, seek fresh air and remain outside.
- Report all gas leaks – Natural gas and propane have an odor similar to that of rotten eggs. If you suspect a gas leak, leave the area, call 911 and contact your fuel supplier.
- Sign up for our 24/7 Service Plan – We know how important it is to keep your family safe and warm during the harsh days of winter. For emergencies, our service team is on hand 24/7. Sign up today and gain peace of mind all year long.
For more safety information and details about our 24/7 Service Plan, please visit VermontGas.com
About Vermont Gas
Vermont Gas Systems is a leader in energy efficiency and innovation, offering a clean, safe, affordable choice for over 51,000 homes, businesses, and institutions in Franklin and Chittenden counties. The company plays an important role in Vermont’s clean energy future by displacing higher-emitting fuels and with its award-winning energy efficiency programs. For more information about Vermont Gas visit www.VermontGas.com.
Beth Parent, Communications and Brand Manager, Vermont Gas Systems
PH: (802) 865-1460 / (802) 578-2776